Exciting news and a free smell

NS April 14th, 2010

I have a few items of exciting news to share. Well, they’re exciting to me. You? You’ll most likely yawn and say ‘Is that all? This woman needs to get out more.’ And to that I would say you’re right but avoid saying that to my face, especially if I’ve been drinking red wine or whiskey. I’m a pacifist in theory but we all know how theories pan out in practice. Like that communism one that was supposed to make all the world one, big, happy, altruistic family but instead led to people queueing up for miles to get their hands on a McDonald’s quarter pounder with cheese, extra onion and pickle, in Red Square. Need I say more?

Anyway.

Exciting item #1: Inspired by Gappy’s post, with accompanying photographs, about her trip to Hay-on-Wye, I’ve booked myself in for a train ride and overnight stay there, a few days after my birthday this summer. I’ve been dreaming of going away on my own just to read and relax and I knew right away that this would be the perfect place to do that. Second-hand book stores in which there are comfy chairs to sit and cats to stroke? I’m sold.

Exciting item #2: I’ve booked into a doula training course for the end of May. After I’ve completed the course I have to attend four births to become fully qualified. I’ve already got one lined up in August (a good friend’s) but need to find three more. If you, or anyone you know, are due this summer and live in the South West London or Surrey area, and are looking for an inexpensive doula, do let me know! I’m quite excited about this new career path, really. Not only will I get to help women with something I’m passionate about but I can earn a more reliable income from home which will take some of the pressure off of needing my writing to become a paid venture right away. A win-win situation, really! Besides which, I think I’ll be good at it and enjoy it.

Exciting item #3: I’ve entered into the Race for Life to benefit Cancer Research UK, in which I will run 5k a the end of July in Clapham. Me. A woman who has never been a runner and hasn’t done any form of exercise (other than walking loads and chasing the children) for a good four years. I’ve been getting up at 6am and running twice a week (and once or twice at the weekend) for a couple weeks now. I’m feeling good about it. If you’re so inclined to want to sponsor me (thus blackmailing me giving me more motivation), there is a button on my sidebar that will take you to my sponsorship page. Watch out, Clapham! There will a woman huffing and puffing her way through your streets and commons come July 31st, and she will likely be tripping over her shoelaces as she Tweets about it at the same time.

Exciting item #4: My first guest post, in which I give my thoughts on the term ‘mummy blogger/blogging’ ┬áis up at Gappy’s ‘Single Parenthood. Tales from the front-line’ blog. In five years of blogging I have never been asked to do a guest post so I was very excited and flattered to be invited into someone else’s space, especially by Gappy whom I greatly admire and like immensely. She’s a real talent and a new blogger so if you haven’t already got her on your list of must-reads, go check her out!

And finally, a sniff. I’ve managed to capture my favourite smell (line-dried sheets) and convert it to HTML. If you move your mouse rapidly over the blank space below, the scent should release itself. You’ll probably have to lean in quite close and give your screen a good sniff but it’s there, I promise.

Lovely, isn’t it?

Photo credit

37 Responses to “Exciting news and a free smell”

1. I am *so* envious of number one and really impressed with number two. Number three, admittedly, leaves me a bit cold but well done!

Off to check out your guest post but really, still thinking about number one. Fab idea. Are you having a complete internet break then too? {sigh} Comfy chairs and second-hand books…..

@Deb@carrotsandkids, Yes, am going to try not to get online too much. I’ll have my phone with me so will check email from time to time but am going to try to be strict about not getting on Twitter or reading blogs.

2. Good Luck with the Doula course!! I am sure you will be a great one! Will pass on your details as we are in the same area (I am in Epsom).
    Px

@Peggy @ Perfectly Happy Mum, Thanks Peggy!

3. Nat says:

ohh doula training. Inexpensive you say. I’m in Kent due in September. Planning my 2nd maternal assisted c/section at 41 weeks or if I go into Labour before then highly unlikely I’ll hopefully get a VBA2C!

Anyhoo good luck with that all, we need more people like you,

@Nat, Hi Nat! Congratulations on your pregnancy. I visited your blog and read about what a fight you had to put up when planning your last birth — well done you! I’m especially impressed that you wrote to the PM about it. Maternal-assisted c-section sounds like the way to go if you need another one, best of luck!

4. Deer Baby says:

What great news on all fronts! Doulas are a great idea. I wish I’d had one. I’ve had my family and am not having any more otherwise I’d book you! Good luck with the training.

And is it just me or are other people actually sniffing that monkey?
    Deer Baby´s last blog ..Repair Work My ComLuv Profile

@Deer Baby, I wouldn’t sniff the monkey too much, he’s featured on the front of a pair of boxer shorts. :D

5. Erin says:

Congratulations on the Doula training and best of luck, sounds like you’re going to busy busy busy the rest of the year! Hay on Wye sounds like heaven!
    Erin´s last blog ..Current Obsessions My ComLuv Profile

@Erin, Thanks Erin, it’s definitely going to be a busy year. Hope you and your clan are well. x

6. Wow – lots of wonderful things happening, really pleased for you

@Muddling Along Mummy, Cheers my dear. :)

7. Signor Dos Empanadas says:

1. Nothing short of what you deserve. The fact that its during the World Cup makes it much easier to deal with. You’ll probably have to tell me your leaving otherwise I may not notice you’ve gone :)
    2. Glad I gave you a nudge back in that direction, you’ll be great at it.
    3. Good work. Amazed you can get out of bed that early. Very proud of you.
    4. Will check it out.
    And finally. I wouldn’t know what that smells like. Clothes magically move from the linen basket back to my drawers, don’t they? The same way that food magically moves from the fridge to a plate next to your computer in the evenings.

@Signor Dos Empanadas, Thank you my love. And yes, it is magic how dinner appears before me and your socks get washed and rolled up and back in your drawer. Good that, isn’t it?

What a lovely excited joyful post! It reads like a mountain stream babbling down the hillside over stones and rocks.

@Iota, Are you trying to tell me I am babbling? ;)

9. Hey, I live next to Clapham Common! I’ll look out for you. Shouldn’t be too difficult to spot a Noble Savage, right? In fact, I was thinking of signing up for that race too.

The doula training sounds like a fantastic idea. Best of luck. We live close by but, sadly, there will be no more children for me and all of my 5-year-old’s nagging for a baby brother will not change that! Otherwise, I would have given you the job. Seriously, this sounds like a great plan. I’m still searching for my solution.

@Nappy Valley Housewife, It’s very easy to spot a Noble Savage, indeed. I’ll be wearing a loin cloth and carrying a spear. ;)

10. Gappy says:

I defy anyone to go to Hay-on-Wye and not have a wonderful relaxing time. On your own is definitely the best way to enjoy it too in my opinion, so enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

Thank you aswell for the links and the kind words – much appreciated. x
    Gappy´s last blog ..A Guest Post from Noble Savage: Blogger. No ‘Mummy’ Necessary My ComLuv Profile

@Gappy, When I am there, relaxed and happy, I shall raise a glass in your honour. Thanks again for the idea.

so if you’re gone and signor dos empanadas is absorbed in the world cup, does that mean you’re going to send the kids over to the states to stay with their favorite auntie for a few days?? hee hee.

lots of great plans and i’m sure you’ll be a great success at all of them!

@andrea, Maybe in about 5 years, hon. But you’ll be here before then anyway!

12. beta dad says:

It’s great that you are getting into so many new ventures! I’m inspired (momentarily, at least) to get off my ass and do something different.
    beta dad´s last blog ..Random Tuesday: My Racist Theories, Food, TV My ComLuv Profile

@beta dad, Glad I could inspire.

13. EmmaK says:

I loved your post over at Gappy’s. And I love the new scratch and sniff bit on your screen. What a heavenly scent. Look forward to the next one – might I ask for Belgian chocolate whiff with roasted almonds. Cheers!

@EmmaK, You’ve got it. The next free smell will be just that. It sounds heavenly!

14. Capital Mom says:

How exciting! The doula experince sounds amazing. I can’t wait to hear more about it.

@Capital Mom, I’m sure I’ll be talking about it on here more as I go through the training and start attending births. Very exciting!

I am so excited for you! You will make an incredible doula. I’m tempted to go walk around the block and find someone to knock me up. However, I don’t think

@andrea, Oh Andrea, you do make me laugh. If you do decide to ‘fine someone to knock you up’ you know I’ll fly over to be your doula. :D

16. Abby says:

Wow! Great news! Good luck on your course! x
    Abby´s last blog ..you capture :: fresh My ComLuv Profile

@Abby, Cheers Abby!

17. Liz says:

fabulously exciting things NS, good luck with the Doula and running training. I’ve just run a half marathon, after never running before in my life, and it was amazing! I loved every painful minute of it, I hope you enjoy it too!
    Liz´s last blog ..Fictional role models for young girls? My ComLuv Profile

18. Cathy says:

I am doing my doula class next week in Putney! Which group are you doing your class with?

Cathy Reply:

Oops, just saw your link to Nurturing Birth, that’s who I am doing it with too! Just mailed off my pre-course module a couple of days ago :-)

19. blues says:

#1 – awesome. I’m going on holidays this month myself, well just home really, but it will be complete with eating whereever I want and long mornings with the NY times at my favorite coffee shop.

#2 – Holy shit. Can you come to Spain and be mine, that is if I ever manage to get pregnant.

#3 – good for you. I’ve recently gotten back into running myself and it feels good. I don’t have a marathon goal though, that’s cool.

#4 – will head over.
    blues´s last blog ..I’m already gone My ComLuv Profile

20. [...] to my recent post in which I told you about signing up for doula training, a 5K race and a long-pined-for trip by [...]