These are the rules

NS March 2nd, 2010

The first rule of writer’s block is — don’t talk about writer’s block. The second rule of writer’s block is don’t talk about writer’s block on your blog and then plead with your readers to hang tight while you scavenge your brain for nuggets of wisdom and entertaining anecdotes. The third rule of writer’s block is…well, you know the rest.

Photo credit

18 Responses to “These are the rules”

1. Nova says:

I was about to say it must be something to do with February as so many people seem to be ‘blocked’ but then I remembered it’s now March! Good luck, hope it doesn’t last too long.

@Nova, You’d think with Spring in the air I’d be more inspired but I think I’m still stuck in the winter blahs. Hopefully I’ll pull out of it soon.

2. I’ve had it too! But today I seemed to heal, managed 2.5k words and feel so much nearer to the light.

CJ xx

@Crystal Jigsaw, 2.5k?! I’d say that’s a comeback, alright!

3. Can’t think of a comment. Comment block. That’s what I’ve got. Are there any rules for that?

@Iota Manhattan, There are, but I’m not at liberty to talk about it. ;)

4. Aw come on – with your work on the other place you’re doing plenty these days

@Muddling Along Mummy, True, but I still feel bad for neglecting this place. I’m sure it will pass soon.

5. A Crafty Mom says:

I think the Fight Club reference is clever enough that that doesn’t even count as writer’s block :) There you go – totally off the hook!

Loved that movie, BTW.

@A Crafty Mom, Thanks! I’ll count it as a semi-post then. Maybe by tomorrow I’ll be all the way there.

I usually scan the newspapers and comment on something ridiculous that’s going on in the world. The Mail is particularly good for ripping to bits.

@Expat Mum, Oh god, if I read the Daily Fail I would be so apoplectic that any post I wrote about it would just look like this:

fuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyou

And so on and so forth.

That rag is bad for my blood pressure.

7. Heather says:

I agree with expat mum, nothing gets the juices flowing like reading The Mail…

@Heather, See above.

8. Reluctant Blogger says:

Aw but sometimes there is just nothing to say and no need to blog. That’s one of the many beauties of blogging – you do it when you want.

It’s best to be unpredictable – don’t let others have expectations re your blog, and don’t have any yourself either. Just go with the flow. It’s one of the few places that it is possible.

I find some weeks I just want to write and write and other weeks I don’t do so at all. And that is fine.

@Reluctant Blogger, I know that, in theory. I just find it so frustrating when it happens! I’m probably trying too hard now and stressing myself about it. The minute I forget about it my mojo will come back, I’m sure.

9. I like the bits where all I have to say is “urggggg”. Just as well since they are fairly frequent.

That’s when I catch up with the blogs I like to read and get comment happy.

I mean, yes, I could do something about the laundry mountain or the dishwasher tower…but I have an oversized procrastination gland so for medical reasons am forced to float around the net instead joining in the chatting.

10. lori day says:

Maybe writers block just means a moment of contentment and peace in your hectic pace. Just a time to reflect on nothing…just rest your mind for a moment before your next great post. Don’t stress, just savour!!