Born in the wrong decade

NS February 15th, 2010

I realised today, as I was driving along singing my heart out to a series of songs on Magic radio, all from 1973, that (musically at least) I was born in the wrong decade. I mean, how can you beat this playlist?

• ‘Love Train’ by The O’Jays
  • ‘Killing Me Softly’ by Roberta Flack
  • ‘Stuck in the Middle with You’ by Stealer’s Wheel
  • ‘Goodbye Yellow Brick Road’ by Elton John
  • ‘I Will Always Love You’ by Dolly Parton
  • ‘Tequila Sunrise’ by The Eagles
  • ‘Yesterday Once More’ by The Carpenters
  • ‘Superstition’ by Stevie Wonder
  • ‘You’re So Vain’ by Carly Simon
  • ‘Let’s Get It On’ by Marvin Gaye

When ‘Superstition’ came on, I actually yelped with excitement and turned the radio up really loudly (no kids in the car — hurrah!). I could barely contain myself. That, my friends, is MUSIC. I’m telling you, I was meant to be alive and in my youth during the 60s and 70s. I would’ve been in bell-bottomed, peace-signed, guitar-strumming, funk-loving heaven.

That said, I think I would’ve also been quite happy in the Roaring Twenties as well. After going to see The Princess and the Frog yesterday with The Noble Child and hearing all of that lovely New Orleans-style jazz music, I could totally picture myself as a gin-swilling, fun-loving, Charleston-dancing, boa-wearing flapper.

If you could’ve been a young adult in any decade in the 20th century, which would it have been?

Photo credit

28 Responses to “Born in the wrong decade”

1. Charlotte says:

Yeah to the Twenties! Seventies, not so much … I’m more of a reggae than a funk girl.

@Charlotte, I really don’t know reggae very well, though I always like it when I hear it. I must rectify that and buy some on iTunes! Any suggestions?

Maybe the 20s, but only if you had money and class. Bit miserable if you were a domestic, rather than part of the party scene.

And of course they didn’t know the war was just round the corner.

@Iota, God, how depressing are you? ;-D

3. Wow, I have finally found a fellow Magic FM listener. I have never dared to admit to it! My hubbie often threatens to “out” me for my music taste.

nothing better than singing your heart out to Magic when cleaning.

@snafflesmummy, I don’t have loyalty to any station, really (other than BBC London). Mainly because I still haven’t bothered to find out how to program the pre-sets on my car radio. I just flick through them all and stop when I hear a song I like.

4. Gappy says:

Would have quite liked to have gone to Woodstock, but unfortunately I was a child of the eighties. My best friend at schools dad had a huge poster of Margaret Thatcher taking pride of place in his study, while my family were boycotting South African produce and taking me on CND marches. I can remember when Madonna was first on Top of the Pops – it was the most exciting thing I’d ever seen…

Have tagged you over at mine if you’re interested….

@Gappy, I was quite young when it happened but I do remember when Madonna became huge. I remember thinking she was super-cool and daring. Thanks for tag, will do that soon.

5. Emily O says:

I was born in the 70s and can remember songs from the tail-end of that decade, mainly ABBA and Boney M. My childhood decade is the 80s and I wouldn’t have it any other way. The decade of great pop music, most of it trashy admittedly. I’m with you on Superstition, I love Stevie Wonder and he’s quite timeless really.

@Emily O, I was a child of the 80s and early 90s and I never really connected with that kind of music. I guess my parents’ music resonated with me more!

I remember the 70′s but didn’t really appreciate the music as I was too young. I thought the 80′s music was ace at the time but when I hear some of the tunes now – how monotonous were they? It’s no wonder they could run one song right into the other without anyone noticing the difference.
    I would have loved to be a flapper but knowing my luck I’d have ended up as the kitchen scivvy.

@Expat Mum, Ha! Well, even kitchen skivvies go down the speak-easy every now and again. ;)

7. Melodie says:

I would’ve liked to have been at the original Woodstock, except that would make me older than I am now so I’m not so sure. I like being young. Ooh! Maybe I should say I’d like to have been a teenager in the 00′s, then I could be in my 20′s right now. That would be sweeeeet!

@Melodie, It really freaks me out when I hear of people who were born in the 90s already holding down jobs, writing books, inventing things, etc.. Shouldn’t they still be practising their times tables? Oh wait, I guess that’s just my warped sense of time ever since I left school.

8. Anji says:

I was born in ’86 but I think I’d have liked to have been entering my late teens/early twenties then. The eighties rocked, as did the early nineties, but I was far too young to properly appreciate them!

@Anji, Ugh! See, that’s the time period I hate the most. Late 80s/early 90s. Yuck yuck yuck! The clothes, the music, the fashion, the politics….all horrible. The only good thing to come of that era was the fall of the Berlin Wall, imo. Okay, maybe not the ONLY thing but close.

9. Handpicked says:

I’m ashamed to admit it, but I’m still all over the Eighties. Love the stupid big hair, silly fingerless gloves, and endless blue eyeshadow and glitter. Oh, and the music is sheer escapist cheese, from Wham to Bananarama. Perfect for a dance around the office.

@Handpicked, ‘Tis good for a dance I suppose but I never did like the look. I think growing up in the Midwest where the big hair carried on WELL into the 90s may have scarred me for life.

I was a child of the 80′s, born in 1970 so came of age with U2, simple minds, the human league, soft cell, Adam and the ants. The first disco I went to at the local youth club we all did the “Prince Charming” dance up and down the hall. Ah, the memories! I bought singles at Woolworths with my babysitting money, taped the top 40 on my mum and dad’s stereo, and learned the lyrics from “Smash hits” and “No1″. I wouldn’t have grown up in any other time. I do love the 70′s music too though.

@geekymummy, Now, see, I like that type of 80s music. The mid-decade stuff was great. But towards the very end of the 80s and in the early 90s? Not so much.

Easy. Late 50′s/early 60′s. America before the fall. Mad Men. Yeah, I know, the misogyny and inequality, I know. But what can I tell you?

@A Free Man, Why am I not surprised? ;) So would you be a Don Draper type or more of a beatnik ya think?

12. I turn the music up when the kids are in the car – this is education !

13. Great list of tunes! I concur! Hmm, think I’d have liked to be around in the ’20s or ’30s – Charleston era whenever exactly that was. Loved to have worn those gorgeous dresses and feathers in my hair. Anyway, back to Paulo Nuitini and yoghurt in my hair……….

14. Emms says:

Not the 70′s but can relate to the Roaring Twenties definatetly!

Congrats on the 10 yr anniversary…much love to you both :o )

15. lori day says:

I am stuck in the sixties. Raised in a family with a span of 17 years difference in age of the kids. I loved my parents music and was exposed to a wide variety of music as my siblings grew older. Thanks to them my personal music collection ranges from (A-Z) Roy Acuff to ZZ Top. But the sixties music and fashion is my favorite. I was thrilled when hip-huggin bell-bottomed jeans came back in style. I was too early and you were too late, but I think we would have had a helluva time at Woodstock!!!

Oh, we definitely would’ve had a great time at Woodstock!

16. Now, to be honest. I don’t think I’ve lived through such an eclectic, exciting decade for actual music, even if the monolithic old traditional industry is in decay. True, there aren’t the giants – but there are a thousand and one Jacks and Davids (or Jacquelines and Davinas – this is also a much better decade to be a woman making music).

Artists can own the process to a much greater extent, money and fame are much less of a factor, the whole pop machine simply isn’t relevant.