Ahhh. We needed that.

NS February 7th, 2010

What is it about hotels, B&Bs, inns, and other places that aren’t your own home? The moment TNH and I step foot into one without the children (a very rare occurrence, mind you, but it was our tenth wedding anniversary on Friday), it’s like we’re a completely different couple. No bickering, no responsibilities; plenty of talking, connecting and laughing (and other more physical pursuits — ahem); strolling arm-in-arm around town at our own pace and with our own agenda; the promise of an uninterrupted night together and sleeping as late as we want in the morning…it’s magical.

When we checked in we were the weary, busy parents of two children under four. When we checked out the following morning, we were us again. I remembered all of the things about him I fell in love with and he the same for me. One night to bring us back into each other’s arms and hearts was all it took. The best money we ever spent.┬áNow to just remind ourselves to make those nights away together, just the two of us, less rare.

Photo my own

15 Responses to “Ahhh. We needed that.”

1. Emily O says:

Glad you had a nice time and lovely to forget about family responsibilities for a while. I’m very jealous, can’t wait to do the same. But it’s going to be a while yet!

2. TheMadHouse says:

Sounds like you have had the perfect weekend reconnecting. Me and MAdDad have not had had a weekend break from the children yet!!

3. Charlotte says:

Glad that you get to have that now and again. I find it’s essential for my relationship too, for exactly the reasons you give: seeing each other again without the daily baggage, and making the time for each other.

4. It is really important. Great that you had the opportunity.
    We managed to get away to Paris for our 10th anniversary, but that is the only time we have been able to leave the kids (well, one other night for a wedding, but that was more about falling into bed at 2am stupefied with champagne!).

It IS important to get away. But not always logistically easy.

6. Capital Mom says:

We need to do that. Hopefully soon.

7. oooh that looks like heaven. Might have to get a naughty weekend away arranged!

8. Courtney says:

Yay – so happy you two were able to find time for yourselves!

9. Luschka says:

Urgh. You’re killing me. I’m dying for a weekend away. Even with the baby, I don’t care. Just out of the city!

10. Geekymummy says:

Ooh, lucky lucky you, and congrats on ten years. We are going to grab our very first night away sans kids when my folks visit in April. Can’t wait!

I think it is about time for one of those nights over here as well.

Have you really been married ten years? O. M. G. Congrats to you and TNH!

It’s our 20th this year and we’re supposed to be planning a quick trip somewhere. We have only ever been away once on our own before (at the Millenium – so two nights) and I’m sort of panicking about how we’ll get along. We never fight or anything, but we also have never been on holiday without the kids.

if you lived in chicago i’d let you ditch the kids off on me anytime so that the two of you could go away. just sayin’. ;) glad you had a good anniversary!!

15. That sounds great – reminds me we need time away, for some reason just being away from it all, even if only for a night really does help you reconnect