I had a vision of love

NS January 25th, 2010

And after all that waxing lyrical about staying indoors, what did we end up doing yesterday afternoon, less than two hour after I wrote about looking out windows and staying warm? Strapping the wellies on, driving out to Richmond Park, tromping up and down exceedingly muddy paths and then having a good run around the playground.

The lazy, cosy morning and the outdoor, active afternoon…they were perfect. Each on their own but especially together. And when we pulled up in front of our home, just as darkness was throwing its blanket over the half-lit, golden hue clinging to the edges of the sky, The Noble Husband and I turned to each other and smiled. I switched the ignition off and we sat in silence, holding hands for a moment before we turned around to see our children, both asleep and with their faces turned upward in identical, open-mouthed poses, the very picture of vulnerable, lovely innocence. Our eyes met as we gathered our things and silently relayed every emotion our hearts were bursting with. Before we scooped them up and woke them from their peaceful reveries, we looked once more at their soft faces, breathtakingly beautiful, and watched their chests rise and fall, rise and fall, with the breath that we gave them.

“Is there anything more incredible and wonderful then this?” my heart asked his.

The trembling of his lips and the brightening pools of his eyes said that, indeed, there was not.

11 Responses to “I had a vision of love”

1. Nene says:

Brightening pools in my eyes just by reading it. So true. And good of you to treasure the moment and write about it. Having healthy breathing children is not a given, unfortunately.

2. TheMadHouse says:

I adore the sight of them both asleep in their car seats, although as Maxi turns 5 in March, it is becoming less and less common. MadDad and I had the relaisation that our boys are growing up in a blink and you miss it kind ot way.

I love outdoor mornings and cosy indoor afternoons, shutting the world out, which is what we did yesterday, early baths, PJ’s a movie under a great big blanket on the couch. Wonderful

3. Thank you ! After yesterday, I needed to be reminded that we’ve had those moments with them ourselves and will do again.

4. Capital Mom says:

Those are the moments.

5. NS says:

@Nene – No, it’s not a given is it? I’m so very grateful.

@TheMadHouse – As mine are 3 and 1 I’m hoping it will happen for just a little while longer yet.

@Dad Who Writes – I so know about those days where you can’t remember anything good or angelic about your kids and need a reminder. Glad to be of service! ;)

@Capital Mom – They certainly are.

6. Kelly says:

This post caught me by surprise and bought tears to my eyes. Your first post was interesting and refreshing to read, this was plain wonderful.

7. SandyCalico says:

Lovely, just lovely x

8. Claire says:

I agree with Sandy there, lovelyxx

so sweet. what a wonderful day! xx