Wordless Wednesday: Gendered clothing for the toddler set

NS September 16th, 2009

Clothing from Trendy Remedy, Zazzle and Mothercare.

14 Responses to “Wordless Wednesday: Gendered clothing for the toddler set”

1. Sally says:

Quite. I get a lot of Flea’s clothes online to avoid precisely this issue, although she gets a lot of comments from other kids along the lines of: “Why are you wearing that? That’s for boys.”

I just got a great “Self-Rescuing Princess” t-shirt from Think Geek, and Baby Wit also has some excellent tops for little girls who don’t need indoctrination in the art of shopping or flirting.

but what’s the point of having kids if you can’t project your stereotypes on them??!

I was so tempted to leave a comment saying “Aaaaw, soooo cute. Can I get all these online?” – but I’m a bit worried about your blood pressure.

4. NS says:

@jen – I know! I mean, I know I only wanted a girl so I could brush her hair and dress her up like a Barbie. And I consider it my motherly duty to reinforce my 1-year-old son’s masculinity by telling him how strong and cool he is and letting him know that even if he behaves abominably, it will be okay because he’s “just a boy” and that’s all I expect of him.

@Iota – I know you wouldn’t do that to me. ;)

5. This makes me sooooooooooooo cross – I want my daughter to be more than a ‘princess’ – have you seen the pink stinks campaign ? http://www.pinkstinks.co.uk/

Its so hard finding clothes that aren’t split blue = boys, pink = girls – surely we’ve moved on from that by now ?

btw is there a website for the self rescuing princess t-shirt ?

Vom. These are awful. Now that I’ve been an auntie for almost *two weeks*, it’s all I notice. I can’t buy anything for my strong wonderful niece, especially in these horrid little kiddie boutiques that have sprouted up all over the city.

7. That’s why I love threadlesskids.com. Lots of irreverent, artsy things over there.

These are all horrible.

(Currently H is wearing an olive green Return of the Jedi shirt with Yoda and a light saber on it. I fully plan on any future little sisters to wear it, too.)

8. anna says:

i feel odd putting dd in slogan tshirts full stop. she has one that says “my dad’s a feminist” which always gets positive comments, but i feel a bit like i’m using her like a billboard…

9. Potty Mummy says:

Aaaaw, soooo cute. Can I get all these online?

Oops – someone said that already… (My irony levels must be quite low this morning – I opened up your page and when I saw the pictures I actually thought ‘she’s got to be joking, right? NS flogging this crap?’ I clearly need more sleep…)

10. BoozleBox says:

I really, REALLY hate the children’s clothes offering on the High Street in the UK – it’s pretty bad all round. My only consolation is that I have boys – I do think girls clothes are generally more awful. Who seriously puts their daughter in a ‘Boy Crazy’ t-shirt?

Although having said that, I’d quite like to get some cool atheist slogans on t-shirts for my boys? Anyone know where I can get some?

Seriously though – would that make me just as bad?

11. Sally says:

The self-rescuing princess t-shirt is from thinkgeek.com.

I also really like Flea’s “My parents are big gay liberals” t-shirt and her “I love my Single Mom” shirts, both from Baby Wit.

12. Anyone remember the company that was selling push-up bras and thong underwear for 6 year olds? Blech.

Another pet peeve of mine is military camo clothes for my boys. No thanks. There is enough cultural pressure to grow into a violent man.

13. NS says:

Thanks for the links to Pink Stinks and Threadless Kids, I’d heard of both but had never visited their sites.

@Jake Aryeh Marcus – Ugh, I hate camo. Blech blech blech.